Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Star Gazing on Cane Hill

Cane Hill Cemetery...

We paid another visit to Cane Hill Cemetery. This was a hit or miss shot. I wanted a 30-45 minute exposure and didn't want to hang out in a cemetery much longer than that in the dark.

The original shot...



I admit I went ill-prepared as far as having sufficient lighting to be able focus correctly.

I actually planned on doing a 45-minute exposure, but accidentally set the shutter speed to 30 minutes instead of "bulb" (which for those who don't know allows me full control over shutter speed through my wireless remote).

Here's a slightly edited (inverted) image of the shot. I pulled out some of the red.



On the last edit, I saturated the colors.



Challenges with this shot.

For an exposure this long, I needed something that could have allowed me to focus on the cemetery entrance better.

I actually plan on going back out there - and getting an antique tombstone with the stars racking across the backdrop.

Also on the docket, is the flour mill at night with star trails in the background. Use of a spotlight to highlight areas of the mill itself should bring serious depth.

Side note:

Ched claims visiting a cemetery at night is against the law. I have disputes with this. We'll see how this plays out.

I claim that Cane Hill probably doesn't have a police department.

One final thing. I've changed my settings to have one entry displaying at a time so as to save loading time and not clutter up the front page. If you've missed an entry and actually want to see it...please check the archive.

So, stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment