Wednesday, December 23, 2009

A Riverside Walk



I went for a walk today after lunch down Riverside Walk. Its a simple name, but I'm pretty sure that they call it that in English and not using a Portuguese Name, althought, I very well could be wrong. This is Poty River, one of the two rivers here. Let me explain something while you're giggling. Its not pronounced "Potty", even tho sometimes it smells like one. Its pronounced Po-CHEE. Po as in Po' Boy.

Its a well-kept area of the city because its also a bar district. A neat one for tourists and foreigners like me.



The bar like the one above is called a Quiosque (Kiosk) and they play music while people sit outside near the sometimes stinky river. But the view is nice, and sometimes the smell is the food cooking on the grill in the back. This one "Caneleiro" is known for playing rock music while other ones play some local and Brazilian styles.



During the day, people hang out like this woman above in the hammock. She's probably one of the venders or someone who works nearby taking a lunch break near the river.



Its hot during the day, so you don't see much activity on this street. As the sun goes down, people get off of work and go for a jog down the sidewalk and it goes for several miles. I, obviously, didn't walk those several miles for a few pictures.



People hangout near the sidewalk and sell things to people. Here are a bunch of flags for Brazilian soccer teams. The flag on the far end is the team of the recent champion, Flamengo. They are a team from Rio de Janeiro. The professional team here is a third-tier minor league team and never wins, so people choose teams from Rio de Janeiro or other places in the country.



I concluded my walk when I stopped and found this great view of part of the city.

1 comment:

  1. This blog has a great material about my city. That's an interesting insight Teresina...Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete