Thursday, July 2, 2009

Festival in the Sitio Filipana


Ok, so I don't have the names or explications for all of the following, but here are some things I did last weekend.



First, this enormous lizard was crawling along the property wall from Lia's house to the neighbor's property. The picture doesn't show the size of this beast, but I would say it was probably around 3 and a half feet. The picture quality is awful because when I saw it, I ran to get my camera which had been used the night before for the previous blog and I didn't take time to adjust it because the lizard was moving too fast...so I just stood on my toes so I could see and took the picture. I had to make photoshop adjustments to be able have something this good.




This is the dance of the bull from the party we went to. Festas Juninas are kind of a country-style party but other than that, no one really explained to me the purpose of the bull's dance or even why we were celebrating.



I was taken on a tour of the farm - which is supposed to have cashews, but that is only at a different time of the year. The above fruit is a Tamarind..used to make juices. I am not sure if they exist in the U.S., but they are kind of good eating them raw.



Here is a fruit that I DON'T know the name of.


and for you bird lovers..



Here's a small nest of birds that we came up on during my 'tour'.

2 comments:

  1. Don't you remember when I brought candied tamarind into work? You can usually find tamarind pods in Asian markets here. So much better to have them fresh in their natural habitat though. That lizard was wicked awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that you mention it, I do remember those candies.

    I remember Tamarinda flavored mexican drinks in Wal-mart as well.

    Yeah..the lizards are cool. I saw two today. One was a chameleon and the other was just like the one in this picture.

    ReplyDelete